happy EDSA!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

best picture: no country for old men
best actor: daniel day lewis
best actress: marion cotillard

nanalo ratatouille!


don't mind me, i'm just studying for a potential lit quiz. :D

my lit teacher was going to give a free cut yesterday to watch the oscars. pero, nagkaholiday rin, so no free cut. :(


so anyway, feel ko ulit mag share, so here's my Lit short paper that i'm supposed to submit tomorrow. my mind wasn't working right when i wrote this so it might not make sense (MIGHT) but anyway, feel ko lang nakakatuwa siya so there you go. :D

I was in third grade when my mother enrolled me in a summer piano class. As a child, of course, I didn’t relish the idea of going to school every day when it was my chance to sleep until noon and watch TV for the rest of the day. Yet I was eager to try playing the piano. It was something a lot more different than what I was always doing at school. It was the chance for me to become like my Sunday school teacher, a pretty young lady who could play the piano and sing at the same time. It was, for me, the ultimate goal to achieve, although my seven-year-old mind did not think of it as a “goal”.

I had a wonderful time. I loved how my fingers would press down on the keys and there would be that soft lingering tone from the wooden contraption. I learned how to identify the different time signatures, how to find the middle C, how to tell a quarter note from a whole note.

At the end of the class, there was to be a recital for all the piano students. I was eager to show off my skills, and I was assigned to play “Mary Had a Little Lamb”. It was a very easy piece and I was confident. During the recital, I went up the stage as I was told to do, sat down on the bench, and played. It lasted for 10 seconds.

When I was done, I curtsied to the applause of the audience and went to sit beside my mother. “Why did you hit a wrong note?” she asked. Wrong note? What wrong note? I followed the score on the book! Turns out that the book, which was designed for beginners, only uses three notes for the piece, when the actual song has five notes. Thus, on my first recital performance ever, I made a mistake. And it wasn’t even my fault.

After that, I continued my piano lessons. Although I have stopped since entering college due to the busy schedule, I never forgot that first piano performance. That book could still be in print until today, I can’t be too sure, but there had to be other people who had the same experience because of it.

I don’t know if that day had any lasting psychological effects on me, but at least now I know that books aren’t always right.


i'll give a prize to whoever knows the title of that piano book :D

0 loved back: